- The Carotid Artery is the main vessel that provides blood and oxygen to the brain.
- The Carotid Artery is located on both sides of the neck.
- The purpose of the exam is to evaluate blood flow, and to determine whether any narrowing or blockage exist.
- The exam typically takes 20 to 30 minutes and no test preparation is needed.
- Patients should wear loose fitting cloths, that allows access to the neck.
- A water based ultrasonic gel is applied to the skin, and the Technologist will use an Ultrasound Transducer to acquire images.